Monday, January 23, 2012

Kadar sues ex-Khilgaon OC

Dhaka University student Abdul Kadar sued former officer-in-charge of Khilgaon Police Station Helal Uddin on Monday for torturing him in custody and filing false cases against him. 

He filed the case with the same police station in the noon.

The move came in line with recommendations by a probe committee of the law ministry and an order from the High Court, said Anwar Hossain, deputy commissioner (Motijheel Division) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police.

Earlier in the day, a Dhaka court acquitted Kadar, who was tortured in police custody last year, of a carjacking case.

Metropolitan Magistrate MA Salam passed the order following an appeal submitted by Detective Branch (DB) of Police Inspector Abdur Noor, also investigation officer of the case.

Abdur Noor filed the petition before the court after submitting a probe report in the case on Thursday and appealed to it to exempt Kadar from the carjacking charges.

Another court in the city will pass its decision on January 26 on the probe report submitted by DB Inspector Mohammad Shahjahan in connection with a robbery case filed against Kadar with Khilgaon Police Station.

The cases were filed after Kadar was picked up by Khilgaon police from the capital's Segunbagicha around 1:30am on July 16.

The carjacking case in which Kadar was implicated was filed with Mohammadpur Police Station on July 14, two days before his arrest.

Kadar, a student of biochemistry and molecular biology, said he was walking to his DU dormitory when police detained him.

On November 3 last year, Kadar was relieved from another case filed with Khilgaon Police Station for possessing sharp weapons.

He said police made the arrest and tortured him in custody even after he had shown them his identity card. Helal even chopped the calf muscle of his left leg with a cleaver, Kadar told a court in July.

Police also tried to implicate him as a robber although a departmental probe later found him innocent. The probe also found that police had tortured Kadar, falsely charging him with robbery and carjacking.
Following a media outcry, the High Court on July 28 ordered the inspector general of police to probe the incident.

Kadar was released on bail on August 3.

A HC bench also ordered the IGP to suspend three officials of Khilgaon police including Helal for torturing Kadar in custody.

OC Helal, Sub-inspector Alam Badsha and Assistant Sub-inspector Shahidur Rahman were closed on July 29.