Thursday, December 8, 2011

JS Body For Legal Action Against Fakhruddin, Moeen

A parliamentary committee on Thursday recommended legal action against former chief adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed and army chief Moeen U Ahmed for the August 2007 violence on Dhaka University campus.

The committee further recommended including former home adviser Maj Gen (retd) Abdul Matin’s name into the list alongside Fakhruddin and Moeen, a parliamentary source said.

The committee sat at a meeting at Jatiya Sangsad Bhaban Thursday morning to decide what to do as it was not convinced with the written replies the former chief adviser and army chief had sent it from abroad.

The source said the sub-committee formed to carry out the final phase of investigation into the violence has already finalised a 13-point recommendation and an 11-point observations. 

It has prepared a report of over 800 pages that would be submitted before the parliamentary standing committee on education ministry on December 21, the source added.

On August 20, 2007 the violence began when a few army men beat up three students and insulted a teacher during a football match at DU gymnasium ground.

Thousands of DU students on the same day took to the streets protesting the incident and demanding withdrawal of the on-campus army camp and an apology from the troops.

There had been pitched battles between students and police forces for the next two days, which left over 250 people mostly students injured.

As violence spread through educational institutions in the capital and elsewhere, the government imposed a curfew in the divisional headquarters and closed universities and colleges on August 22.

Four teachers and eight students were arrested and kept behind bars for around five months while thousands others were allegedly tortured on the campus and also in other places across the country.

The arrested teachers and students were released in the wake of a silent and peaceful student movement in January 2008.

The parliamentary standing committee on education ministry on August 20, 2010 formed the four-member sub-committee with Rashed Khan Menon as its chief for investigating the incident.